Sunday, February 04, 2007

Good Luck, Vista

It's no secret that I'm a diehard Mac OS X fan. It's also no secret that I'm no fan of Microsoft. But I'd be delusional to think (or suggest) that Windows is going anywhere any time soon. Now, Vista's been out less than a week, so the jury's still out on whether it's more secure than Mac OS X, but pretty much everyone is saying it's much more secure than any previous version of Windows.

So all I really have to say about that is this: great. I hope that Vista is (and stays) more secure than its predecessors. Many folks are going to stick with what they "know," and if that's the case, they still deserve to be better protected from the nasties of the internet. So congratulations to Microsoft for looking out for their customers with improved security, and good luck to everyone upgrading.

Of course, security is one thing -- usability is quite another. I've yet to try Vista (I probably will, when I can afford the $250 or so to throw at it), but for anyone needing to purchase a new computer just to run Vista, I'd recommend at least having a look at a new Mac running Mac OS X (currently, v. 10.4 "Tiger" and soon, v. 10.5 "Leopard"). You'd be doing yourself a disservice not to at least check out other options out there.

No comments: